In this activity, students will create a mini periodic table of elements using Lewis dot diagrams to represent each element up to calcium.
By the end of this lesson, students should be able to
- Understand what valence electrons are.
- Draw Lewis dot diagrams for elements.
- Recognize that elements in the same column have the same number of valence electrons.
This lesson supports students’ understanding of
- Valence electrons
- Lewis dot diagrams
Teacher Preparation: 10 minutes
Lesson: 45 minutes
- Student activity sheet
- No safety precautions need to be observed in this activity.
This sections includes any information the teacher might need, including
- This activity could be modified to include transition metals.
• Lewis dot diagrams
For the Student
- A periodic table with all electrons drawn for elements up to Ca.
- A blank periodic table with symbols up to Ca, where students should draw only valence electrons for those elements.