In this activity, students will complete a crossword puzzle by solving each clue that is related to a fundamental chemistry topic.
High and Middle School
By the end of this activity, students should be able to
- Demonstrate a good understanding of fundamental chemistry topics.
This activity supports students’ understanding of
- Physical Properties
- Separating Mixtures
- Atomic Structure
- Atomic Models
- Subatomic Particles
- Atomic Mass
Teacher Preparation: minimal
Lesson: 15 - 20 minutes
- Crossword puzzle & clues
- No specific safety precautions need to be observed for this activity.
- This crossword puzzle could be a used at the beginning of the school year with high school students, to gauge their prior knowledge. Alternately it could be used at the end of first or second units in a high school chemistry class.
- This crossword puzzle could also be used at the middle school level, during a physical science class, however several clues will be challenging.
- An answer key document has been provided for teacher reference.
Chemistry Basics: Advanced Crossword Clues
1. Carbon monoxide (or perhaps the state of Colorado)
6. Currently, there are 118 ______ on the periodic table
7. 6.02 x 1023 atoms
8. What an element's atomic number represents
11. For water, it is 1 g/ml (or equivalently 1 g/cm3)
12. Number of valence electrons for Lithium, or any other alkali metal in group 1
16. Product of cellular respiration
19. Color, melting point, smell, or density
20. Charged atoms
22. The periodic table has 18 groups and 7 _____
24. Dihydrogen Monoxide
25. Famous atomic model named after a Danish scientist
26. Food for plants
1. The formation of bubbles, or a release of gas, is a potential indication that this has occurred
2. Something that has mass and takes up space
3. Combination of two or more substances
4. Method for separating rocks from sand
5. Method for separating salt from water
9. pH, flammability, reactivity, or combustion
10. Law stating that matter is neither created nor destroyed
13. Mass divided by volume
14. Principle ingredient in old thermometers
15. Process for purifying a liquid (such as water)
17. ______ _____ is equal to the weighted average of an element's isotopes
18. The study of how matter is made and how it changes
21. 78% of the earth's atmosphere
23. Potent greenhouse gas