ACTIVITY in Accuracy. Last updated February 17, 2021.
In this activity, students will analyze data collected from a football tryout. Using their knowledge of the terms accuracy and precision, students will interpret the data, and apply their understanding to several questions.
This activity will help prepare your students to meet the performance expectations in the following standards:
- Scientific and Engineering Practices:
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data
- Engaging in Argument from Evidence
By the end of this activity, students should be able to:
- Differentiate between the meaning of accuracy and precision.
- Analyze data and determine if results are accurate and/or precise.
This activity supports students’ understanding of:
- Data Analysis
Teacher Preparation: minimal
Lesson: 10 – 15 minutes
- Student Handout
- No specific safety precautions need to be observed for this activity.
- This short activity can be used with students to help them better understand the meaning of accuracy and precision as it applies to data.
- Teachers may consider using this activity as a “Bell-Ringer” or “Warm-Up” exercise at the beginning of a class period.
- An Answer Key document has been provided for teacher reference.
For the Student
The local football team is in need of a new Quarterback. Five potential replacements attended the open tryouts to see if they had what it takes to make the team!
Part of the tryout session required each athlete to throw the football to the 60-yard line. They each had the opportunity to throw the ball five consecutive times, and their yardage was recorded for each throw.
The following data was collected by the offensive coordinator:
|Player’s Name||Throw Attempt #1||Throw Attempt #2||Throw Attempt #3||Throw Attempt #4||Throw Attempt #5|
|Tyler||50 yards||52 yards||75 yards||65 yards||66 yards|
|Josh||61 yards||60 yards||59 yards||61 yards||60 yards|
|Devin||65 yards||72 yards||84 yards||37 yards||46 yards|
|Spencer||51 yards||50 yards||51 yards||52 yards||51 yards|
|Andre||70 yards||70 yards||50 yards||55 yards||60 yards|
- Explain the meaning of Accuracy:
- Explain the meaning of Precision:
- Use the terms accurate and precise to describe Spencer’s results:
- Which player(s) seem to be neither accurate nor precise during their tryout?
- Use the terms accurate and precise to describe Josh’s results:
- What do you think is more important, accuracy or precision?