ACTIVITY in Interdisciplinary. Last updated March 25, 2020.
In this activity, students are challenged to solve forensic chemistry themed clues in order to complete a crossword puzzle.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to
- Explain how fundamental chemistry practices can be applied to a forensic investigation.
- Recognize that forensic scientists use chemistry techniques to analyze evidence.
This lesson supports students’ understanding of
- Real-word connections
- Interdisciplinary topics (forensic science)
Teacher Preparation: minimal
Lesson: 20-30 minutes
- Forensic chemistry crossword puzzle
- No specific safety precautions need to be observed for this activity.
- The Forensic Science Teacher Magazine created this Forensic Chemistry themed crossword puzzle to appear in the September 2016 issue of Chemistry Solutions.
- The Forensic Science Teacher Magazine is a fantastic free resource for science teachers. Over 25 issues of this magazine have been published, each containing classroom-ready resources for teachers! Check out their website, www.theforensicteacher.com, to find helpful links, mini-mysteries, how-to guides and much more.
- This puzzle was developed in hopes of being used in chemistry classrooms to promote the ACS National Chemistry Week 2016 theme Solving Mysteries through Chemistry.
- This activity could be used as a research opportunity in a typical chemistry class, so that students have the opportunity to learn about the many real-world applications of chemistry.
For the Student
1. A process that separates a mixture of different