In this activity, students will play a Bingo game, crossing out the names of laboratory equipment on their Bingo card that corresponds to the pictures of equipment shown by the teacher. This will help students to identify common equipment found in a chemistry lab.
High and Middle School
By the end of this activity, students should be able to
- Identify the name of equipment commonly found in chemistry labs.
This activity supports students’ understanding of
- Laboratory equipment
Teacher Preparation: 20 minutes to cut apart Bingo cards and chips (if needed)
Lesson: 15 minutes for one Bingo Game
- Bingo cards
- Pennies or small chips
- Laboratory Equipment PowerPoint
- No specific safety precautions need to be observed for this activity.
- This activity was highlighted in the ChemFun section of the September 2020 issue of Chemistry Solutions.
- The game was designed to give students practice identifying equipment commonly found in a chemistry lab. It could also be used as a formative assessment.
- This game includes 49 pieces of laboratory equipment. An alphabetical list is included below.
- Teachers could use the physical equipment pieces, rather than the PowerPoint presentation.
- Use the PowerPoint to show each piece of equipment to your students. You may want to “shuffle” the order of the slides and save several different versions to use with your classes.
- The Caller’s Resources include a list of all of the laboratory equipment and should be used to mark off the elements as they are called. You will need one copy of this list for each game that you plan.
- There are 32 unique Bingo cards to download, four sets with eight cards each. To use the cards with several classes, print on cardstock or laminate them. Have students cover their elements with pennies or small chips. There is a set of Bingo “chips” that can be cut apart for student use during the game if pennies or chips are not available.
- The cards were generated from Bingo Baker.
|Beaker Tongs||Evaporating Dish||Lab Apron||Striker|
|Beakers||Eye Wash Station||Lab Gloves||Temperature Probe|
|Broken Glassware Box||Filter Funnel||Mortar and Pestle||Test Tube|
|Bunsen Burner||Filter Paper||pH Paper||Test Tube Clamp|
|Buret||Fire Extinguisher||Pipette||Test Tube Rack|
|Buret Clamp||First Aid Kit||Ring Clamp||Thermometer Clamp|
|Clay Triangle||Forceps||Ring Stand||Volumetric Flask|
|Crucible and Cover||Fume Hood||Rubber Policeman||Wash Bottle|
|Crucible Tongs||Gas Jet||Rubber Stopper||Watch Glass Cover|
|Electronic Balance||Gas Shut Off Valve||Safety Goggles||Weighing Boat|
|Emergency Shower||Graduated Cylinders||Scoopula||Well Plate|
|Equipment Clamp||Hot Plate||Stirring Rod||Wire Mesh or Gauze|