ACTIVITY in Balancing Equations. Last updated November 13, 2018.
In this activity, students practice completing and balancing chemical equations with a partner.
High or middle school
By the end of this lesson, students should be able to
- determine the products of a reaction between given reactants.
- balance chemical equations.
This lesson supports students’ understanding of
- Balancing equations
Teacher Preparation: 15–20 minutes
Lesson: 60–90 minutes
- Printed set of snowman equation cards
- Student worksheets
- There are no special safety considerations for this activity.
- Prepare a set of 36 snowman cards. To help the cards last longer, print on heavy cover stock and/or laminate.
- Set aside an area of your classroom for the snowman cards.
- During the game, it is helpful to stay in the same spot so that students can come to you to get their answers checked.
- Limit the teams to a total of two people. If you have an odd number of students, ask for a volunteer to work alone.
For the Student
Pick a card and balance the chemical equation found on that card! Write the number, equation, and answer in the box below and have your teacher check your answer. If the answer is correct, put the card back and pick another card. If you do not get the correct answer, keep trying until you get it right!
- If you pick it, you solve it! Teams are not allowed to put a card back if they don’t like the problem on that card. Teams are also not allowed to peek at the problem before choosing to take a card!
- Your team can only work on one card at a time! Teams must finish a card and get the answer approved by your teacher before getting for another card.
- Teams must stay together and solve the problems together! All team members must be together when checking answers.