The Mole Crossword Puzzle Mark as Favorite (21 Favorites)
In this activity, students will be challenged with clues that are related to the concept of the mole in order to complete a crossword puzzle.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mole concept.
This activity supports students’ understanding of
- Periodic Table
Teacher Preparation: minimal
Lesson: 15 - 20 minutes
- Crossword puzzle & clues
- Optional Materials for Students to Access:
- No specific safety precautions need to be observed for this activity.
- This crossword puzzle could be a used at the end of a lesson or unit about the mole in a high school chemistry class. Alternatively, it could be given to students on October 23rd, Mole Day, to challenge their knowledge of the mole concept!
- An answer key document has been provided for teacher reference.
The Mole Crossword Puzzle
The Mole: Crossword Clues
3. A mole is a way that chemists __________ things that they can't see.
6. True or false: A mole of feathers will have the same mass as a mole of bricks.
7. If you have 22.990 grams of ________ (element name), it is equal to 1 mole.
9. True or false: A mole of water contains the same number of molecules as a mole of carbon dioxide.
10. If you have a mole of one-dollar bills, you would have _____ (more/less) than a million dollars.
1. The volume occupied by 1 mole of gas at STP is known as ______ _________.
2. The first name of the scientist credited with establishing the mole concept.
3. Chemists use the word ________ to indicate that there are 6.02 x 1023 particles.
4. A mole is typically used to measure things that are very _______.
5. The value 6.02 x 1023 is known as Avogadro's ___________.
8. Chemists define a mole as the amount of atoms that are in exactly 12 _____ of Carbon-12.