In this activity, students will be challenged with clues that are related to the concept of the mole in order to complete a crossword puzzle.
By the end of this activity, students should be able to
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mole concept.
This activity supports students’ understanding of
- Periodic Table
Teacher Preparation: minimal
Lesson: 15 - 20 minutes
- Crossword puzzle & clues
- Optional Materials for Students to Access:
- No specific safety precautions need to be observed for this activity.
- This crossword puzzle could be a used at the end of a lesson or unit about the mole in a high school chemistry class. Alternatively, it could be given to students on October 23rd, Mole Day, to challenge their knowledge of the mole concept!
- An answer key document has been provided for teacher reference.
The Mole Crossword Puzzle
The Mole: Crossword Clues
3. A mole is a way that chemists __________ things that they can't see.
6. True or false: A mole of feathers will have the same mass as a mole of bricks.
7. If you have 22.990 grams of ________ (element name), it is equal to 1 mole.
9. True or false: A mole of water contains the same number of molecules as a mole of carbon dioxide.
10. If you have a mole of one-dollar bills, you would have _____ (more/less) than a million dollars.
1. The volume occupied by 1 mole of gas at STP is known as ______ _________.
2. The first name of the scientist credited with establishing the mole concept.
3. Chemists use the word ________ to indicate that there are 6.02 x 1023 particles.
4. A mole is typically used to measure things that are very _______.
5. The value 6.02 x 1023 is known as Avogadro's ___________.
8. Chemists define a mole as the amount of atoms that are in exactly 12 _____ of Carbon-12.