« Return to AACT homepage

AACT Member-Only Content

You have to be an AACT member to access this content, but good news: anyone can join!

Need Help?

After the AP Exam...

Started about 6 years ago by Heather Weck.

Hi all,
I wanted to get a discussion going about what you do for the remaining month of school (that's the case in PA anyway) after the AP exam. I do a unit on food science and my colleague does philosophy of science, but I'm interested in hearing about what others do. Thanks!
Heather

5 Comments

• Jeremy Wolf

Posted almost 6 years ago

I have thought about a lot of different possibilities. The one that my students enjoy the most is a series of inquiry-based lab experiments. It culminates with a 14-bottle lab, where my kids get 14 unlabeled solutions and they have to determine the identity of them. I give them the list of possibilities on the second or third day to help them get ideas. I also get old lab equipment from a local college or from a parent who works in industry and give it to the kids and tell them to educate me about what the thing does, how it works, and all that. This is really cool because it gives the power to the students. Hope it helps, Jeremy
  • Melanie Wills

Hi Heather, Last year I had the kids spend the rest of the year either planning/executing an experiment or optimizing a demo that illustrated one of their favorite topics from the year. This culminated with each student either presenting their demo or experiment to the class (and friends and other school members who had a free during that time). The expectation was that the presentation would be at a level for people not that familiar with chemistry (i.e what you would see in a NOVA or Bill Nye level explanation). The students really loved it and I plan to do it again this year. Congrats on the election :) Take care, Melanie
  • Heather Weck

Matt, What an awesome idea--spreading the science love! H
  • Kimberly Duncan

Here is the link to the latest AACT news post about resources to use for post exam activities: https://teachchemistry.org/news/new-aact-resources-for-post-ap-exam-activities
  • Matt Perekupka

Posted about 6 years ago

Hi Heather, A colleague and I are actually starting a new post AP exam tradition at our school for our AP science courses. The high school will be hosting it's first ever STEM fair on Wednesday May 30th. Our elementary school will be bringing over it's 2nd and 3rd grade classes to enjoy a fair ran by our AP science students. Each of our AP course were broken into groups of 4 and tasked with planning and conducting a STEM related activity for the fair. The ideas must be approved and presented in class prior to the fair. This project will count for the majority of their 4th marking period grade. It takes a little planning but it is great PR for the school and I am hoping the young students love the event. Good luck with your election! Matt