« Return to AACT homepage

AACT Member-Only Content

You have to be an AACT member to access this content, but good news: anyone can join!

Need Help?

Guest speakers for Organic Summer Course

Started almost 4 years ago by Leigh Thompson.

I am teaching a 4-week summer course in Organic chemistry for High School students and I would love for the students to hear from actual chemists or professionals who use their chemistry in their daily work. Does anyone know of a food chemist or medicinal chemist or polymer chemist who would be interested in speaking with my students via Zoom. I am open to ideas.

3 Comments

• Edward Kleinman

Posted over 3 years ago

I am so sorry that I did not see your request earlier, as I would have enjoyed being a guest speaker. I am a retired medicinal chemistry and often give enrichment lectures in local high schools about careers in chemistry and the fields of organic and medicinal chemistry. Please keep me in mind if you do this next year.
  • Leigh Thompson

Posted almost 4 years ago

I actually used Skype A Scientist and we matched with a graduate student at Princeton. She was awesome! I would highly recommend using this program.
  • Monica Wixon

Posted almost 4 years ago

I would recommend reaching out to a university/college that lists these areas as programs that students can major/minor in - or at least have a course or two listed in their course catalog on one or more of these topics. (Since you're interested in a Zoom call, it doesn't even have to be a local school!) They might have professors who work/have worked in the industries you mentioned, or they might have a list of graduates who you could reach out to.