Virtual Summer Symposium: Inventing Green through Education
WEBINAR (1 hour 10 minutes) on August 4, 2020
From ocean plastics to global warming, today’s sustainability challenges require innovative, sustainable solutions. There is a demand for changing how we make our products, and we must foster the next generation to create while thinking of degradation, see the solutions within nature, and not be afraid to fail when trying new ideas. In this session, hear from students and educators on why it’s important to create a sustainable future and tackle the world’s biggest societal challenges through chemical science and invention.
This Virtual Summer symposium will have several speakers who will each present a talk on the topic of simulations to enhance chemical instruction. Each speaker will have 20 minutes to talk and answer questions. There will be a short break halfway through the symposium. The speakers and schedule are shown below:
- 12:00 pm – Opening Remarks and Instructions
- 12:05 pm – Janie Butler, “Inventing Green Bioplastics”
- 12:25 - Madison Morin, “Advocating for Invention Education”
- 12:45 pm – Emma Corcoran, and Jane Wissinger, "Seaweed-based Edible Liquid Capsules: Green Innovations for Single-Use Plastics"
- 1:05 pm – Brief Closing Remarks and Links
Organizer: Kate Anderson and Janie Butler, Beyond Benign
Date: Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 12:00 pm ET