Chemistry Classroom Safety Pledge
It's hard to squeeze in time at the end of the year to clean up your classroom, lab or stock rooms, so we want to provide a small incentive to get you motivated!
Participate in this year’s AACT Chemistry Classroom Safety Pledge to teach your students and faculty at your school about the importance of safety in the classroom.
We’re asking science educators to commit to at least one hour of tidying up their classroom, lab, stock room, etc.
To participate, simply identify some time before the end of the school year to clean up your classroom, lab, stock rooms, etc., and remember to return and record your hours no later than June 28.
Those who record their hours will be entered into a drawing for a grand prize of $200 gift card to Flinn Scientific, a license to Chemventory and a complimentary 1-year membership to AACT! Two runner-ups will also receive a license to Chemventory and a 1-year membership to AACT.
Winners will be notified via email the week of July 1st.
- Check expiration dates on chemicals.
- Dispose of expired chemicals or those that you no longer use.
- Check labels and add new labels to containers that need them.
- Organize glassware drawers/cabinets.
- Dispose of chipped or cracked glassware.
- Organize drawers and cabinets in laboratory or chemical room.
- Organize Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Make sure that you have a Safety Data Sheet for every chemical in your lab.
- Create of list of chemicals and equipment to be ordered for next year.
- Check your storage plan using a reputable compatibility table.
- Schedule a hazmat pick-up for appropriate chemical waste.
- Ensure your eye wash station and chemical showers are working properly.
- Inspect and test your fire extinguisher, check expiration date.