Dow & AACT Teacher Summit 2017
The summit was held June 26 – 29 in Collegeville, PA and 25 teachers from the Philadelphia area participated. Professional learning sessions included "demonstrations for a dime" in the lab for elementary, middle, and high school classes by two AACT staff members, and a workshop for middle school chemistry hosted by an ACS staff member. Participants also received a guided tour of the Dow Chemical facility in Collegeville, worked with dedicated Dow STEM Ambassadors, recieved guided lab experience, and participated in safety training. Safety was an important theme at the summit and was presented in an engaging way, designed to be reused by the teachers with K–12 students.
- Introduction to Naming and Formula Writing for Ionic Compounds
- Candy Isotopes & Atomic Mass
- Chemistry Composition Challenge
- Using Dice to Explore Radioactive Decay
- Nuclear Waste Challenge
- AP Chemistry Big Idea Review
- Molecular Modeling
- Visualizing States of Matter
- Firefighter or Fireball
- Thermochemistry Infographic
- Chemistry is Cooler Stress Test Challenge
- The Evolution of Materials Science in Everyday Products
- Calculating pH, A Look at Logarithms
Lots more on the way! Explore the resource library for additional lessons, lab, and demos from AACT.