Category: Creativity. Last updated June 20, 2023.« Back to Themes
You drape your body in it daily, but what do you know about its science? Learn about different aspects of cloth, including ways to dye it, tests to identify kinds of fiber, what makes up your favorite shirt, and more.
- T-Shirt Chromatography from AACT
Try out this twist on dyeing t-shirts in this fun and easy experiment for your club.
from Flinn Scientific
It’s colorful chemistry that you can wear when you’re done! All the dyeing directions you need are right here.
- Focus on Fabrics: Putting Materials to Good Use from Teach Engineering
Put fabrics to the test, then make your decision about which to use.
- Dye Like a Natural from Exploratorium
Usually, you don't want to stain your clothes. Here, you do, using nature's dyes.
- Lost on Everest from NOVA Teachers
You’re climbing in extreme conditions on Mt. Everest. What are the best clothes to have in your pack?
- Moisture Wicking Fabric from Education.com
Test fabrics to see which can whisk away extra moisture to keep you dry.
- Natural Dyes: A Chemistry Inquiry Lab from The Elements Unearthed
Any unwanted weeds in your area? This teacher took one and turned it into a dye experiment.
- Fiber Test
from the Museum of Science and Industry Chicago
Channel your inner detective as you try to figure out the fabrics in this lab.
- Don’t Sweat It: How Moisture-Wicking Fabrics Keep You Cool and Dry from ChemMatters
How moisture-wicking fabrics keep you cool and dry.
- How to Make Fashion Sustainable from ChemMatters
To shrink the environmental footprint of fashion, scientists are tackling the complex challenge of clothes-to-clothes recycling.
- Indigo: The “Blue” in Blue Jeans from ChemMatters
There is some complex chemistry behind everyone’s favorite clothing choice. How indigo dye is made involves both ancient roots and modern advances.
- Solar Textile Collaboration
This fabric could harness the power of the sun. Find out about this blend of chemistry and art.