ACTIVITY in Culminating Project. Last updated March 25, 2020.
In this activity, students must demonstrate their understanding of a topic by making a 24 second video and summarizing the concept in seven words.
High or middle school
By the end of this lesson, students should be able to
- Highlight the important concepts of the topic.
- Show a deep understanding of a concept.
This lesson supports students’ understanding of
Teacher Preparation: 10 minutes
Lesson: 10 minutes to multiple class periods (depends on whether it’s assigned as a homework or in-class assignment)
- Recording device
No specific safety concerns are needed to be observed if chemicals are not involved. Students should clear any reactions with the instructor if they lend themselves to the project.
- This could be done as a homework assignment, or class time could be allotted for students to work on the project.
- This activity is discussed in a Chemistry Solutions article about formative and summative assessment.
- Depending on your level of comfort with technology, you may want to limit the audio options to fit your platform.
- Students could work alone or in pairs.
For the Student
Go to this website to listen to a sample 24/7 Lecture. This lecture is about the mass spectrometer.
- Pick a topic or concept from those that you have studied this year.
- Record on your computer, iPad, smartphone, or whatever device you want your complete and accurate description of the key features of this topic so that anyone can understand in 24 seconds (±2 seconds).
- Write a seven word (no more, no less) summary so anyone can understand it. Record these seven words at the end of your 24-second audio clip.
Email the audio file to me on or before: _________________________
The audio file can be in any format (mov, wma, wmv, mp3, etc.)