ACTIVITY in Separating Mixtures, Physical Properties, Temperature, Sublimation, Gas Laws, Pressure, Phase Changes, Physical Change, Review, Distillation, Boiling Point, Volume, Mixtures. Last updated November 4, 2019.
In this study game, students will review topics including the scientific method and states of matter. They will be prompted with questions in a PowerPoint and they will use white boards to communicate their answers.
By the end of this lesson, students should be able to
- Will be prepared to take a test on physical properties.
This lesson supports students’ understanding of
- Physical changes
Teacher Preparation: 10 minutes
Lesson: 40 minutes
- White board
- White board marker
- Eraser or paper towel
- No specific safety precautions need to be observed.
- This PowerPoint presentation can be modified to host a similar review game on a different topic.
- Sample questions:
- Which is a substance? (salt, salt water, oatmeal, a replacement teacher)
- You find the mass of a salad. Did you find an… (extensive or intensive property)
- Which substance has a definite shape and volume? [NaCl (aq), Cl2(g), CCl4 (l), AlCl3 (s)]
- Which of the following will sublime at STP? [SO2 (aq), H2O (l), CO2 (s), Ca (s)]
- A liquid in a container is boiling at a pressure of 790 torr. The normal boiling point of this liquid will occur at what pressure?