Becoming a Science Coach
The Science Coaches Program supports chemistry teachers by helping them relate chemistry concepts to real-world applications. By volunteering as a coach, you are:
- Giving back to your community in a new and creative way,
- Sharing your expertise to advance science education, and
- Inspiring the next generation of chemists.
Jump to Section: Eligibility & Requirements | Application Guidelines | Application Timeline
Eligibility & Requirements
A science coach collaborates with one teacher over the course of one school year to work on projects and activities they identify with their teacher partner. Teachers and coaches are expected to meet at least 6 times throughout the year. You do not need to be a member of ACS or AACT to be a coach.
The following US based groups are eligible to be coaches:
- Chemistry professionals
- Chemistry graduate students
- Chemistry professors
- Retired professionals/professors
- Former or retired chemistry teachers
Related fields (biochemistry, chemical engineering, etc.) are also eligible.
- Current K–12 teachers/administrators and undergraduate students are not eligible to be coaches.
- Coaches must live in the United States.
- Coaches may not share finances with their teacher partner.
See the FAQs for more details
You may apply with or without a teacher you have already selected.
Applying with a Teacher
We strongly encourage you to reach out to one of your local schools to identify a K-12 teacher you'd like to work with. You can also reach out to your child's, grandchild's, or neighbor's chemistry teacher.
Coaches and teachers have separate applications. If you find a teacher, include their information on your application. Additionally, make sure your teacher fills out their application.
Applying Without a Teacher
If you apply without a teacher, we will try to match you with a nearby teacher whose application best matches yours.
- Phase 1: The 2023-2024 application is now open. Applications received by June 1 will be reviewed and selected partnerships will be notified in July.
- Phase 2: The final application deadline is September 1. If you are not matched in Phase 1, or if you apply after June 1, we will review your application and will notify you of your status by October 2.
- Note: Applicants are not guaranteed program participation.
This program has a two-phase application and program acceptance timeline. Other than being able to start your partnership earlier in the year, there is no difference, whether you are notified in Phase 1 or Phase 2, to program benefits or requirements.