In this activity, students will answer questions while watching a video about Niels Bohr and learn how he redefined thinking about the atom and the electron. His model of the atom advanced our understanding of subatomic particles and holds an important place in the history and development of atomic theory.
Middle, and High School
By the end of this activity, students should be able to
- Differentiate between Rutherford’s model of the atom and Bohr’s model of the atom.
- Explain the organization of subatomic particles in Bohr’s model of the atom.
- Understand at a basic level, the meaning of energy level.
This activity supports students’ understanding of
- Atomic Structure
- Atomic theory
- Model of the atom
- Subatomic particles
- History of Chemistry
Teacher Preparation: minimal
Lesson: 10 minutes
- No specific safety precautions need to be observed for this activity.
- The Niels Bohr video was developed as a part of the AACT original video series, Founders of Chemistry. The entire series can be found here.
- The running time of this video is five minutes and forty seconds.
- This video is intended for students to watch, and for teachers to integrate into their curriculum.
- The student questions/answers are presented in sequential order in the video.
- An answer key has also been provided for teacher reference.
- Videos can be shown with the use of a classroom projector, or teachers can generate a Student Video Pass through their AACT membership to allow students to independently access the video.
For the Student
While watching the Founders of Chemistry Video about Niels Bohr, answer the following questions:
- Where was Niels Bohr born? In what year?
- What “record” did Bohr break in college?
- When Bohr moved to England, who were some of the scientists he worked with?
- What were Bohr’s papers known as?
- What important specifications did Bohr’s theory indicate about the location of elections in an atom?
- Whose research was Bohr’s theory based on?
- What type of physics did this man study?
- What was the result of applying quantum thinking to the atom?
- How did Bohr explain the Hydrogen spectrum using his new theory?
- In what year did Bohr receive the Nobel Prize?
- Where did Bohr flee when the Nazis invaded Denmark?